In this weeks video health tip, Dr. Samir Hajariwala, director of Crossroads Chiropractic, takes a look at plant based meat alternatives and if they really are the best dietary alternative.
With the growing evidence that eating processed meat and mammal meat may increase risk for heart attacks, cancers and diabetes, over 40% of North Americans are eating more plant-based foods.
Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat are two companies dominating the market for plant-based burgers that taste like meat.
Here are a few things we know about these laboratory made foods:
1. These plant-based burgers contains 3 grams of beneficial fiber, while hamburger contains no fiber.
2. Plant-based meat alternatives are highly processed, and eating too much of processed components of plants has been associated with obesity.
3. Both Impossible Burger and Beyond Meat contain:
• more salt than hamburger
• less protein than a hamburger
• more saturated fat from coconut oils than a hamburger.
Making plant-based meat alternatives a small part of your diet may be fine, as long as your diet also includes lots of organic vegetables, beans, whole grains, nuts, fruits and other healthful foods.
Remember you and your family can be as healthy as can be, and it’s never too soon to start receiving chiropractic care. Your best source for everything health is your chiropractor. It’s never too early or late to see the team at Crossroads Chiropractic. Visit Sharpsburg Chiropractor, Crossroads Chiropractic regularly and make sure your nervous system is functioning 100%.
If you are watching this video on our YouTube Channel please subscribe, and if you are watching this video on our website and have not already done so, click here to add your name and email address to the form on this page.